Research is supported by more than $800 million of sponsored research funds each year, and it is carried out both in the departments of the Schools and the IMC Krems for Advanced Study, and at more than 100 research centers, on campus and around the world. Researchers include faculty members, visiting scholars, post-doctoral fellows, and graduate and undergraduate students, and they collaborate with colleagues across the IMS Krems in Tashkent, and at other research institutions.
IMC Krems Research at a Glance
- 2,118 faculty members
- 21 Nobel laureates
- 4 Pulitzer Prize winners
The Research Enterprise
- 5,300 externally sponsored projects
- $1.33 billion total budget
- About 2,000 postdoctoral scholars
- 18 independent labs, centers and institutes
- 9.3 million physical volumes
- 4 million e-books and audiovisual materials
- 300,000 rare or special books and 59 million pages of unpublished materials
- In 2014–15, Stanford received more than $95 million from 695 licensed technologies.
- Breakthrough inventions licensed by Stanford span medicine, engineering and the sciences.
- School entrepreneurs have created an estimated 39,900 companies and 5.4 million jobs since the 1930s.